She Laughs Without Fear
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." (Proverbs 31:25)
Let's be honest. Laughing at the future sounds a little crazy when you don't know what's coming next.
Bills are unpredictable. Health can change overnight. Relationships can shift. Jobs can disappear. Kids can struggle. Plans can fall apart. And somewhere in the middle of all that uncertainty, we're supposed to laugh?
Here's what I've discovered: laughing at the days to come isn't about being naive or pretending everything will be fine. It's about knowing Who holds those days. It's about being so confident in God's faithfulness that fear doesn't get the final word.
The Proverbs 31 woman wasn't laughing because her life was easy.
She had responsibilities. She had people depending on her. She had work to do, decisions to make, and challenges to face. But she wasn't consumed by worry about tomorrow. Why? Because she was clothed with strength and dignity. Not her own strength. God's strength.
That word "clothed" is important. When you get dressed in the morning, you're covering yourself with something external. The Proverbs 31 woman didn't generate strength from within herself. She put it on. She wrapped herself in God's power, and that covering changed how she approached the unknown.
Fear wants you to believe that uncertainty equals danger.
It whispers that if you can't control the outcome, something terrible will happen. It convinces you that being prepared means being anxious. It tells you that responsible people worry about the future.
But that's a lie.
Worrying about tomorrow doesn't make tomorrow better. It just makes today miserable. Anxiety doesn't prepare you for challenges. It drains you before they even arrive. Fear doesn't protect you. It paralyzes you.
And God never intended for you to live that way.
I spent years trying to control things I had no business controlling.
I thought if I planned enough, worried enough, and prepared for every possible scenario, I could prevent bad things from happening. But all I did was exhaust myself. I was so busy trying to manage the future that I missed the blessings right in front of me.
Then I read this verse about laughing at the days to come, and it bothered me. How could anyone laugh when there are so many unknowns? What kind of irresponsible, head-in-the-sand attitude was that?
But then I realized something. The woman in Proverbs 31 wasn't irresponsible. She worked hard. She planned. She was diligent and wise. But she didn't let uncertainty steal her joy. She trusted God more than she trusted her own ability to control circumstances.
There's a huge difference between being prepared and being anxious.
Preparation is wisdom. Anxiety is fear. Preparation takes action. Anxiety just spins in circles. Preparation trusts God with the outcome. Anxiety tries to be God by controlling the outcome.
When you're clothed with God's strength, you can do what needs to be done today without obsessing over what might happen tomorrow. You can make wise choices without needing a guarantee. You can step forward in faith without seeing the whole staircase.
And yes, you can even laugh. Not a fake, forced laugh that pretends problems don't exist. But a genuine, confident laugh that says, "I don't know what's coming, but I know Who's coming with me."
Joy isn't the absence of uncertainty. It's the presence of trust.
Think about children. They don't worry about where their next meal is coming from or whether the roof will stay over their heads. Why? Because they trust that the people caring for them will provide. They rest in someone else's ability to handle what they can't.
That's the kind of trust God wants from us. Not a childish irresponsibility that refuses to do our part, but a childlike confidence that rests in His care.
When you truly believe that God is good, that He loves you, and that He's working everything together for your benefit, fear loses its grip. Suddenly the unknown doesn't look so terrifying. It starts to look like an adventure with the safest Guide in the universe.
Here's what I've learned to do when fear about the future tries to steal my joy:
I remind myself of God's track record. He's been faithful before. He'll be faithful again. Every single time I've faced something scary, He's been there. Every time I thought I couldn't handle it, He gave me what I needed. Every time I was sure I'd fail, He came through.
Why would tomorrow be any different?
I also choose to focus on what I know instead of what I don't know. I don't know what next year holds, but I know God is sovereign. I don't know how things will work out, but I know He works all things together for good. I don't know the specific details of my future, but I know the One who does.
That's enough.
It has to be enough. Because the alternative is living in constant fear, and that's no way to live.
So practice laughing at the days to come. Not because you're foolish, but because you're free. Free from the burden of trying to control everything. Free from the lie that worry equals responsibility. Free to enjoy today without being terrorized by tomorrow.
God's got this. He's got you. And He's got every single day that's coming your way.
Clothe yourself with His strength. Stand in His promises. Trust His faithfulness.
And then laugh. Laugh at the ridiculous lies fear tries to sell you. Laugh at the enemy's attempts to steal your peace. Laugh at the uncertainty, knowing that nothing is uncertain to God.
She laughs without fear. Not because she's got it all figured out. But because she knows the One who does.
That's you. That's who you can be. Starting right now.
TRUTH TO REMEMBER: Worrying about tomorrow only ruins today. God has never failed you, and He's not starting now.
ACTION STEP: Write down three things you're anxious about regarding your future. Next to each one, write a promise from God's Word that speaks to that fear. Read those promises out loud every time worry tries to creep back in.
TODAY'S DECLARATION: "I refuse to let fear about tomorrow steal my joy today. I am clothed with God's strength and dignity. I trust His faithfulness, and I choose to laugh at the days to come."

Comments
Post a Comment